The Institute for Medical Education (IME) is an inclusive organization with two tiers of advanced membership—Fellow Educator and Master Educator. We encourage all medical and science educators throughout the Mount Sinai Health System to consider applying for membership, and we look forward to working with you to further strengthen our shared educational mission to enhance our teaching community.
Advanced Membership (Fellow and Master Educators)
Advanced membership is open to faculty members who are in good standing for at least one year at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, and our affiliate institutions. We encourage MD, MPH, and PhD faculty to apply.
We offer two advanced levels of membership for those who have demonstrated excellence and have made significant contributions to medical education:
- Fellow Educator – Advanced membership awarded to those faculty who have demonstrated a significant commitment to teaching or education and have shown evidence of scholarly work in medical education.
- Master Educator – Advanced membership acknowledges the highest level achievable for a faculty educator at the Icahn School of Medicine. This designation confers a distinct honor to faculty who have demonstrated exceptional performance in the field of medical education and requires demonstration of educational scholarship. Master Educators have generally attained career honors or success in several areas of medical education and may already serve in key educational roles within our institution. Master Educators will also serve as mentors to Institute Fellows and other educators.
Recognition at both of these levels brings with it the responsibility to contribute actively to the teaching community. The application serves as an educator portfolio that helps showcase the quality of your work. All faculty wishing to be considered, apply for Fellow membership, and a selection committee determines who qualifies for Master Educator membership.
There are many benefits of advanced membership, including:
- Recognition as a distinguished educator who has made outstanding scholarly contributions in the field of education
- Involvement with educational issues at the institutional level
- Mentorship and guidance in educational career advancement, as well as opportunities to formally mentor other educators
- Opportunities to provide support for the Institute's programs and mission
- Participation in a cross-departmental community of dedicated educators
A Fellow or Master Educator member will have a term limit of two years at which time the Fellow or Master Educator must submit an activity summary to ensure that the requirements of membership have been maintained.
Next Open Call for Advanced Membership - Monday March 21, 2022
Deadline – Tuesday, May 31, 2022
The following answers provide additional details about membership in the Institute.