Our Department has been providing rehabilitative care for more than 100 years, since our founding in 1910.
First inpatient bed allotted to the Department, allowing the Director to be a member of the Medical Board.
A medical journal publishes our first Chair’s documented outcomes of clinical services provided within our Department.
Greatly expanded rehabilitation facility opens.
The Department establishes its first Amputee Rehabilitation Clinic with the Orthopaedics Department.
The Department is designated as an approved Rehabilitation Center by New York State.
The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency Program is created.
The Department’s first federally funded research center is created.
Lucy G. Moses Chair in Rehabilitation Medicine established; Kristian T. Ragnarsson is first incumbent.
Spinal Cord Damage Clinical Research Center opens with Eastern Paralyzed Veterans Association and Bronx VA; has country's only spinal cord tissue bank.
The Department receives designation and funding as a spinal cord injury model system of care, the only one in New York State at that time.
The Rehabilitation Center is established as a separate care center.
The Rehabilitation Medicine Department celebrates its centennial; at this time, the department had 86 beds in 3 units: Spinal Cord Injury (SCI), brain injury, and general rehab medicine beds.
The Department creates a Bionics Program.
The Rehabilitation Department is ranked #14 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
The Mount Sinai Hospital is ranked 13th nationally for Rehabilitation by U.S. News & World Report.