The Office for Women’s Careers (OWC) is a branch of the Office of Gender Equity in Science and Medicine. Our purpose is to foster a gender equitable environment to assure that women faculty succeed in research and clinical careers at Mount Sinai.
Office for Women’s Careers Initiatives
OWC offers opportunities for women faculty to network across departments and disciplines; serves as an advocacy and mentoring resource; and provides a forum for support, education, and discussion. OWC programs include:
- Women in Science and Medicine (WiSM), which actively advocates for women at all career stages in academic science, biomedicine, and medicine. OWC is a founding member along with Women in Science (WIS), representing our graduate students and postdocs, and American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA), led by our medical students.
- Monthly meetings, called Just Desserts, to celebrate and learn from various successful woman scientists and/or physicians for our faculty and trainees.
- Individual match-making for mentees and mentors.
- Opportunities for participation in nationwide leadership training programs like the Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) and those sponsored by the American Association of Medical Colleges.
- Semi-annual keynote presentations and networking opportunities.
- WiSM listserve, which you can be added to by contacting OWC@mssm.edu, provides information on a broad spectrum of career issues with an emphasis on those that affect women and junior faculty.
In addition the OWC works for policies and programs that create a work environment where all members of our community can succeed, advance, and thrive. These include flexible and family-friendly policies; extended timeframe for promotion or tenure to accommodate personal obligations relating to significant events such as childbirth, adoption, or care of an elderly parent (Faculty Handbook: Adjustment of the Academic Clock); and a part-time track (Faculty Handbook: Part-Time Faculty); the Parents Group; and daycare.