Thursday, May 9, 2019
David Geffen Hall at Lincoln Center
10 Lincoln Center Plaza at 65th Street
New York, NY
2019 MD, PhD, and Dual Degree Commencement Ceremony
Thursday, May 9, 2019
3:30 pm: Graduates must be at David Geffen Hall with their academic apparel
3:30 pm: Doors open for Special Needs Seating
4 pm: Doors open for General Seating
4 pm: Platform Party Arrives
4:30 pm: Commencement Ceremony Begins
7 pm: Commencement Ceremony Concludes
Cap and gown ordering for students will be available on Tuesday, December 4, 2018. You have until March, 29, 2019 to place your order.
Orders placed on the website by March 29, 2019 will be rented by the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai at no cost to you.
Orders placed after March 29, 2019 will not be accepted and you will have to rent your own regalia. After March 29, 2019 students who have not ordered their regalia will be outfitted with extra apparel and cannot be guaranteed correct sizing or hood colors.
The Herff Jones website will open on Tuesday, December 4, 2018; you can start placing your cap and gown orders then.
If you have further questions, please contact Steven Clarke at Herff Jones: 516-223-2572; email@example.com
Caps and Gowns ordered by March 29, 2019 can be picked up in Stern Auditorium from 12 pm – 4 pm during the below days:
- For Last Names (A-K): Tuesday 4/23/19 – Friday 4/26/19
- For Last Names (L-Z): Tuesday 4/30/19 – Friday 5/3/19
We will confirm details about Commencement Ceremony hooders shortly. Please stay tuned for updates.
All MD, PhD, and Dual degree graduates will be given eight (8) guest tickets during cap and gown pick-up in April 2019.
If you need additional tickets, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate how many extra tickets you need. Request deadline for additional tickets is Friday, March 29.
Your name will be placed on a waiting list to be contacted once the allotted number of tickets have been distributed. Please note that all guests, including graduates, infants and children, will need a ticket to enter David Geffen Hall.
- The processional will enter the auditorium beginning with the Grand Marshal, followed by the Marshals before and after the graduating students, then the Faculty and Platform Party.
- Marshals will lead the two lines to the appropriate entrances.
- Graduates will be seated in designated rows in the front of the auditorium.
- The key people are those who are seated at the beginning or end of a row.
- The seating plan is designed to ensure that you are seated in proper alphabetical order for the conferring of degrees.
- It is extremely important that every seat be filled.
- Do not leave any seats empty.
- The staff will assist you in getting to the right place in line prior to the processional.
- Please remain standing until all members of the Platform Party are in place and the Grand Marshal signals for all to be seated.
Walking from Seat to Stage
- When walking to the stage to be hooded and receive your diploma, stay in the line-up order, as you will be called up on stage in that order.
- At the Marshal’s signal, ONLY the first row will rise, turn to face right, move in single file up the aisle towards the back of the Hall, turn left to walk across the back of the Hall and down the side wall up to the stairs leading up to the stage.
- The first candidate will proceed onto the stage.
- Wait until your name is called and then proceed onto the stage.
- Marshals will direct you from your seat and then on to the stage.
- As soon as the name of the next to last person in the first row is called, a Marshal will direct the entire second row to rise, turn to face right, move in single file up the aisle towards the back of the Hall, turn left to walk across the back of the Hall and down the side wall up to the stairs leading up to the stage.
- Repeat for each successive row.
As your name is called, proceed across the stage as follows:
- Make sure your hood is NOT buttoned in the back before you walk on stage.
- Walk to the assistant hooder who will take your hood.
- Turn towards the audience and remain there until the hooding is completed (see hooding instructions).
- After the hooding, proceed to the diploma table to receive your diploma and congratulations from the dean.
- Turn towards the audience when you receive your diploma (this is a key photo opportunity). A professional photographer will take your picture, which will be available for download, or purchasing prints later in May.
- Special Note: Your hands must be free to shake hands and accept the diploma from the dean.
- After receiving your diploma, continue across the stage and exit using the stairs on the far side of the stage.
- A Marshal will be at the foot of the stairs to assist you.
- Return to your original seat and be seated.
- The Grand Marshal will announce the conclusion of the ceremony.
- The Platform Party will leave, followed by the Faculty and then the graduates.
- The first two rows of graduates will recess first utilizing both aisles.
- Line leaders: please remember which direction you should be going during all the different stages of the ceremony.
- All line leaders will be identified prior to the start of the ceremony.
- Marshals will be there to insure you walk in the right direction.
Any degree candidates who require special accommodations in order to participate in their Commencement Ceremony should contact email@example.com. Students with guests requiring early seating or special needs accommodations for Commencement should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will need to provide the name of the guest needing special accommodations, one (1) person who will accompany him/her to assist with seating, and a cell phone number for the guest. Please note that David Geffen Hall selects the areas for special needs seating and that those who enter the Hall for early seating cannot hold seats for others.
For ease, we have reserved a block of rooms at the following hotels:
44 West 63 Street
New York, NY 10023
Discounted rates ranging from $279.00 - $299.00 per night are valid until April 8, 2019.
Book your hotel stay online or by calling the Reservations desk at (855) 265-7400. If you make your reservation over the phone, please reference “Icahn School of Medicine Group,” in order to receive the discounted rate.
Courtyard Marriot—New York Manhattan/Upper East Side
410 East 92nd Street
New York, NY 10128
Discounted rates ranging from $239.00 - $259.00 per night are valid until April 8, 2019.
Book your hotel stay online.
1295 Madison Avenue (at 92nd Street)
New York, NY 10128
Discounted rates ranging from $299.00 - $345.00 per night are valid until April 8, 2019. You can book your hotel stay online or by calling the Reservations desk at (866) 925-3746.
If you make your reservation over the phone, please use the group code #249996 in order to receive the discounted rate.
You will be allowed to take photos outside after the ceremony but you MUST return your cap, gown, and hood inside David Geffen Hall.
- After the ceremony ends, you will be able to take pictures with your guests. You must return all academic regalia to the Herff Jones drop-off stations inside David Geffen Hall. You will not be permitted to leave the premises with any regalia.
- A professional photographer will be hired by the School to get shots of you being hooded and receiving your diploma on stage.
- Prints of these professional shots will be available for purchase after the Commencement Ceremony.
- You will receive further information on how to order prints in late May 2019.
Q: How many tickets does each student get? Can you get extra tickets?
A: Each student will get up to eight tickets. If you need additional tickets, please email email@example.com by Friday, March 29, 2019 and indicate how many extra tickets you need. Your name will be placed on a waiting list to be contacted once the allotted number of tickets has been distributed.
Q: My father/mother is a doctor, so can he/she hood me?
A: We will confirm details about Commencement Ceremony hooders shortly. Please stay tuned for updates.
Q: How long is the ceremony?
A: The ceremony is approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Q: Can I take pictures in David Geffen Hall during the ceremony?
A: Yes, you can take pictures during the ceremony.
Q: Can I leave tickets for family members at the front desk?
A: Yes, you can leave tickets for your family members in a labeled envelope with the attendants at the information window at David Geffen Hall.
Q: Where is David Geffen Hall?
A: David Geffen Hall is located at 10 Lincoln Center Plaza (at 65th Street).
Q: Will there be discounted parking?
A: There is no discounted parking for Commencement.
Q: Is there reserved seating?
A: There is no reserved seating.
Q: Can children attend the ceremony?
A: Yes, children can attend the ceremony but require a ticket, regardless of age.
Q: Will professional pictures be available to purchase?
A: Several weeks after Commencement, pictures will be available for purchase online.
Q: I need disabled/special seating accommodations; who can I contact?
A: Students with guests requiring early seating or special needs accommodations for Commencement should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Are there any other events happening in addition to the Commencement Ceremony?
A: Yes, the Mount Sinai Achievement Ceremony and Awards will be held on Wednesday, May 8, 2019, at 3 pm. It will be immediately followed by the Dean’s Reception at 5 pm for all graduating MD, PhD, and Dual Degree students and their guests in the Guggenheim Pavilion Atrium at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.