Background and Setting
The Mount Sinai/Jacobi/Einstein residency was created in 2006. Its sponsoring institution was the Beth Israel Medical Center, with its partners and major educational site, Jacobi Medical Center and its medical school, the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. The program graduated its first dual degreed Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon in 2013.
Beth Israel was part of the Continuum Health systems which merged with the Mount Sinai Health System in 2014. The merged system resulted in the renaming of Beth Israel to Mount Sinai Beth Israel and the sponsorship of the program being transferred to the Graduate Medical Education department of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. In 2019, the Mount Sinai Beth Israel/Jacobi/Einstein program merged with the Mount Sinai Hospital Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency to form one of the largest 6 year Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery training programs in the country.
Jacobi Medical Center
With more than 500 beds, Jacobi Medical Center has grown into the largest public hospital in the Bronx. It offers a complete range of acute, specialty, general and psychiatric services. Jacobi also operates community-based health care centers that provide general adult and pediatric examinations and health screenings for a variety of concerns, including hypertension, diabetes, breast cancer and prostate cancer. Jacobi Medical Center is a member of the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, and a partner in the North Bronx Healthcare Network. The North Bronx Healthcare Network consists of Jacobi Medical Center (JMC), North Central Bronx Hospital (NCBH) and affiliated community health care centers.
A major academic affiliate and teaching site of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, offers a complete range of acute, specialty, general care and psychiatric services. It is an American College of Surgeons Level I Trauma Center, serving the North Bronx and Lower Westchester as well as being the regional Hyperbaric Center and Regional Snakebite Center for the Tristate area.
Jacobi operates the only multi-person emergency hyperbaric chamber in New York City and the only Burn Unit in the Bronx, the second largest in New York City, with 30 years of clinical research and teaching experience, pioneering in early surgical intervention to preserve skin and minimize infection and injury. It operates a Level III Neonatal ICU with one of the best outcome records in the United States. Jacobi is recognized by the communities it serves as the socially responsible, experienced provider of choice for the more vulnerable populations – medically underserved, uninsured, Medicaid/Medicare recipients and uniformed services personnel.
Mount Sinai Hospital
Mount Sinai Hospital, founded in 1852, is one of the oldest and largest teaching hospitals in the United States. It is located in East Harlem in the New York City borough of Manhattan, on the eastern border of Central Park stretching along Madison and Fifth Avenues, between East 98th Street and East 103rd Street. The entire Mount Sinai health system has over 7,400 physicians, as well as 3,815 beds, and delivers over 16,000 babies a year. In 2019–20, the hospital was ranked 14th among the nearly 5,000 hospitals in the US by the U.S. News & World Report®. Adjacent to the hospital is the Kravis Children's Hospital which provides comprehensive pediatric specialties and subspecialties to infants, children, teens, and young adults aged 0–21 throughout the region.
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
The Albert Einstein College of Medicine is one of the nation’s premier institutions for medical education, basic research and clinical investigation. A full-time faculty of more than 2,000 teaches, delivers health care and conducts research in every major biomedical specialty.
From an original class size of 56, the College of Medicine has evolved into one of the largest medical schools in the country. Today, the student body includes 750 M.D. students, 394 Ph.D. students attending the Sue Golding Graduate Division, (117 of whom are in the combined M.D./Ph.D. program), and approximately 360 postdoctoral investigators currently receiving advance training at the Belfer Institute for Advanced Biomedical Studies. Approximately 7,000 Einstein alumni are among the nation’s foremost clinicians, biomedical scientists, and medical educators.
When the medical school opened its doors to its first class in 1955, The New York Times was already noting that “the new medical school’s distinguished and talented faculty assured the institution of a place in the ranks of the great medical schools in the world.” Among its pioneering educational initiatives, Einstein was among the first of the major medical schools to integrate bedside experience with learning, bringing first-year students into contact with patients and linking classroom study to case experience. In addition, the College of Medicine is widely known for its socially conscious approach to medicine. During the 1970s and 1980s, it was a pioneer in the development of medical ethics as an accepted academic discipline in medical school curricula. Einstein was also the first private medical school in New York City to establish an academic Department of Family Medicine (1993), and it created New York’s first residency program in internal medicine with an emphasis on women’s health (1994).
The faculty’s consistent high level of scientific achievement resulted in the last year alone in the awarding of more than $152 million in peer-reviewed grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Six major Einstein programs have been designated NIH “Centers of Excellence:” the Albert Einstein Cancer Center, the Brain and Neuroscience Center, the Diabetes Center, the Liver Research Center, the Sickle Cell Center and the Center for AIDS Research. In addition, Einstein was the only New York City institution selected to participate in the federally funded mapping of the human genome. The medical school has also established a Center for the Study of Reproductive Biology and Women’s Health, with a mission to develop research programs in fundamental issues in female reproductive biology and their applications to clinical areas. The Einstein research centers are integrated with the College’s education and training programs, providing the opportunity for students to train in a stimulating environment that reflects the dramatic changing nature of medicine as it advances into the 21st century.
The College of Medicine maintains its special character as a community in which students, faculty and administrators share—on a personal as well as professional basis—the challenges of learning, teaching, providing clinical care to a diverse urban population, managing health care delivery systems, and exploring the newest vistas of biomedical research.
Mount Sinai West
Roosevelt hospital's first building opened and it began operations on November 2, 1871, seven years after its establishment. It was renamed Mount Sinai West when it entered into the Mount Sinai Health System.
The 514-bed facility is located in the Midtown West neighborhood of New York City. The facility provides numerous clinical specialties including, oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthopedics, hand surgery, breast surgery, colorectal surgery, vascular surgery, neurology, neurosurgery, obstetrics and gynecology, emergency department, intensive care and urology.
In 2007, Mount Sinai West received advanced certification in total hip and knee replacement surgery from The Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). It is designated a Level III Perinatal Center, AIDS Center, Primary Stroke Center, and designated Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner (SAFE) Program Hospital.
Elmhurst Hospital Medical Center
Elmhurst Hospital Center (EHC), also known as NYC Health + Hospitals/Elmhurst, is a 545-bed public hospital in the Elmhurst neighborhood of Queens in New York City. The current structure opened in 1957, assuming the operations of the former City Hospital, founded in 1832 on Roosevelt Island. It was renovated in the 1990sIt is one of the 11 acute care hospitals of NYC Health + Hospitals, a public benefit corporation of the city. By the 2000s, due to the high ethnic diversity of surrounding areas, Elmhurst Hospital implemented programs to cater to patients' different cultural practices. In 2005, The New York Times reported that the 500,000 patients that visited Elmhurst Hospital the previous year spoke over 100 languages or dialects, and that "roughly half" needed an interpreter because they spoke so little English. As a result, signs were ordered in several additional languages, and dozens of multilingual staff members were given extra training. Elmhurst Hospital Center has a catchment area, which includes nearly a million people in northwestern Queens.
Jamaica Hospital Medical Center
Jamaica Hospital Medical Center is a private, non-profit teaching hospital and emergency facility in the Jamaica neighborhood of Queens, New York City. Jamaica Hospital's first permanent location opened on June 18, 1898, near the Union Hall Street station on the east side of New York Avenue (Guy Brewer Blvd), a short distance north of South Street. The new hospital building opened on May 1, and despite not being ready to fully receive patients, admitted its first patients several days later. Due to an influx of wounded during the Spanish–American War, by July every available space was occupied by soldiers. Recognized as one of the leading hospitals in Queens New York since then, Jamaica Hospital Medical Center has proudly served the community for over a century. Today, they continue to meet the needs of the diverse population of Queens by providing a wide range of quality healthcare services.
Their mission is “To serve our patients and the community in a way that is second to none.”
The James J. Peters VA Medical Center
The James J. Peters VA Medical Center, (also known as the Bronx Veterans Hospital), is a US Department of Veterans Affairs hospital complex located at 130 West Kingsbridge Road in West Fordham, Bronx, New York City. The hospital is the headquarters of the Veterans Integrated Service Networks New York/New Jersey VA Health Care Network. This network is also
the parent network to VA New York Harbor Healthcare System. During the American Revolutionary War, the site of the medical center was the location of British '"Fort Number 6" (1777–1779). During the 19th century, the land was part of the estate of Nathaniel Platt Bailey. The site then became the property of the Sisters of Charity of New York who turned it into the Bronx Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum. The hospital opened as United States Veterans' Hospital no. 81 on April 15, 1922. The Bronx Veterans hospital was renamed after James J. Peters in 2002. Peters, a US Army veteran, was patient of the Bronx Veterans Hospital who founded several organizations to address the needs of patients with spinal cord injuries, including the United Spinal Association.