- The fellow receives direct clinical supervision from one of the attendings on each case, consisting of individual or joint patient interview and subsequent discussion. Fellow has both medication management and psychotherapy supervision for acute and longitudinal cases.
- The fellow participates in monthly lectures with expert faculty in the field of transgender health who have medical, surgical, and psychiatric backgrounds.
- Weekly reading seminar including journal club.
- We encourage fellows to participate in weekly psychosomatic fellows' seminar.
- Fellows interested in research may attend our weekly Research Fellows' Lecture Series to learn more about basic methodology and principles. You are also welcome to participate in other psychiatry research didactics.
Expectations at the end of the first quarter
- Be culturally sensitive to TGD issues
- Be proficient in diagnosing gender dysphoria
- Learn the history and evolution of sexual and gender disorders in psychiatry
- Understand the indications and contraindications to transgender surgery
- Have basic familiarity in transgender-related hormone therapy
- Work in interdisciplinary treatment teams
- Perform presurgical psychiatric evaluations
Expectations at the end of the second quarter
- Perform all first quarter-specific goals and objectives with increasing skill plus:
- Be proficient in pre- and postoperative management of transgender patients
- Have basic familiarity with medication interactions and contraindications
- Have basic knowledge of the physiological theories for gender dysphoria
- Have basic knowledge of the psychological theories for gender dysphoria
- Be familiar with civil rights movements and legislatorial changes affecting TGD patients
Expectations at the end of the third quarter
- Perform all of the above with increasing skill plus:
- Provide education to interdisciplinary teams on TGD mental health care
- Be proficient in providing education, support, and therapy for family members and partners of transgender patients
- Have comprehensive knowledge of community-based resources for TGD patients
Expectations at the end of the fourth quarter
- Perform all of the above quarter-specific goals and objectives with increasing skill plus:
- Provide independent and comprehensive care to pre- and postoperative transgender patients