The following provides Principal Investigators and research personnel access to pertinent IACUC information. For additional questions, contact the IACUC Office at 212-241-0153 or email@example.com.
Principal Investigator Responsibilities
Principal Investigators acknowledge their responsibility for conducting research in accordance with Federal regulations (Animal Welfare Act Regulations, Public Health Service Policy), Institutional and IACUC policies. The Principal Investigator must ensure compliance of all co-investigators, students and research personnel under their purview.
Ensure that all PIs and individuals working with the animals are qualified or will be trained, as required by Federal, State and Institutional rules, to handle, care for, and perform experimental procedures on the animals described in the IACUC application.
- Provide all personnel with access to the Principal Investigator’s protocol.
- Ensure the protocol does not represent an unnecessary duplication of previous experiments.
- When surgical procedures are performed on study subjects, ensure aseptic techniques are employed.
- Use Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) within the laboratory.
- Any changes in a previously approved IACUC protocol will be reported to the IACUC for review and approval. Such changes will not be initiated without IACUC review and approval.
- Provide annual progress reports or updates regarding experimental outcomes as required by the IACUC.
- Notify the IACUC immediately of any relationship which constitutes a conflict of interest.
- Identify occupational health hazards related to their protocol and to provide the necessary training and equipment to minimize the risks to staff.
- Require research personnel to use Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) while working with hazardous materials or in areas where such equipment is required.
- Require the use of laboratory coats and proper attire while working in the laboratory.
- Promptly report to the IACUC any injuries to research personnel or adverse events related to the study within 5 business days of the occurrence.
- Promptly report to the IACUC any violations to animal or human health and well-being, or violations of IACUC Policies and procedures.
*Reporting may be confidential without fear of reprisal.
- Recognize that failure to adhere to Federal, State, and Institutional policies related to animal care and use may result in the suspension or revocation of my privilege to perform animal research at the Mount Sinai Medical Center.
- Promptly notify the IACUC and submit a final report when a protocol is closed.