The Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai leadership believes in maintaining a supportive, collegial environment free from harassment for faculty, students, and trainees, regardless of gender, gender expression, or gender identity.
We strive to create a culture where everyone has the opportunity to succeed and feel valued. To do so, we aim to assess and address both structural and political factors. More specifically, we look to address:
- Structural Equity Policies and Procedures: Develop, implement, and monitor clear, objective, accessible standards across our institution to achieve gender parity in recruitment, compensation, benefits, advancement, and promotion.
- Collaboration: Foster an atmosphere of trust, open communication, and professionalism.
- Organizational Climate: Establish, publicize, and enforce zero-tolerance policies toward gender bias and harassment, without fear of retaliation.
- Access: Encourage clear pathways to information on gender-friendly policies including family and medical leave, promotion, and programs that enhance leadership and negotiation.
- Representation: Increase the number of women in senior leadership and decision-making positions (including committees for recruitment, promotion, and awards). Enhance recruitment, compensation, and retention of outstanding women in science and medicine using best practices.
- Capacity Building: Provide excellent mentorship, sponsorship, and educational opportunities. Acknowledge and learn from past and present missteps related to gender bias and assist people struggling with their impact while shifting systemic norms.
- Intersectionality: Pay particular attention to women who are pregnant, disabled, have young children, and are from underrepresented and sexual/gender minority groups.
- Quality of Life: Emphasize the importance of managing career and personal life.
- Impact Beyond Mount Sinai: Ensure that our gender equity team and Mount Sinai play a role in developing initiatives and promoting equity for women in science and medicine nationally and internationally.
Gender Equity Projects
Our team interacts with faculty, researchers, and students individually and in groups to gather information on your experiences and perceptions. We analyze these data and use them to help us:
- Pinpoint and correct identified inequities in compensation, hiring, promotion, and evaluation.
- Raise awareness of equity issues and develop opportunities to promote equity and reduce/eliminate bias throughout the Mount Sinai community.
- Create an inventory of existing programs and identify opportunities for new ones.
- Develop and deploy programs that increase inclusiveness and improve quality of life, recruitment, and retention.
- Foster a climate within our academic culture and institutional structure that embraces gender equity.
To achieve these goals, we collaborate with leaders at the Icahn School of Medicine and the Mount Sinai Health System to develop school-wide initiatives and programs. We work closely with leaders in these areas:
- Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure
- Diversity in Biomedical Research Council
- Faculty Diversity Council
- Human Resources
- Office of Academic Development and Enrichment
- Patricia S. Levinson Center for Multicultural and Community Affairs
- Office of Well-Being and Resilience
2020 Distinguished Scholar Awards