Our PhD in Neuroscience program provides rigorous training in independent clinical, translational and basic Neuroscience research in a highly collaborative and supportive environment. During your training, you will be exposed to the most progressive research methods and concepts to understand, identify and treat brain structure and function in health and disease. Our program is top-ranked by leading organizations in research funding and innovation, with mentorship by world-renowned faculty. Come join our PhD in Neuroscience program.
How to Apply
Applicants looking to pursue a PhD in Neuroscience should have a strong background in one or more of the following: any type of biological or computational science, psychology, mathematics, chemistry or physics. Applicants must also demonstrate a commitment to research and have significant research experience. To apply to our Program, please submit the following:
- A completed application form
- Transcripts from post-secondary institution(s) attended. Copies are acceptable for the admissions process and can be uploaded to the online application. Alternatively, registrars may send official transcripts, in a sealed institutional envelope, directly to:
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
1 Gustave Levy Place, Box 1002
New York, NY 10029
*Please note that official transcripts will be required for admitted applicants that decide to enroll at ISMMS. We also require international applicants to have foreign transcripts translated into English and evaluated by a certified credential evaluation service (ex. WES, ECE, FIS).
- Contact information for letters of recommendation. We are especially interested in hearing from individuals who have interacted with you in a research setting. Your application will include a request for three contacts who would be willing to write your recommendations. Please have their email addresses available so that you may submit the information when prompted. These references will receive an email from "firstname.lastname@example.org" with information guiding them through the process
- $80 application fee
Application Deadlines & Decisions
Application review begins in September and all admissions materials are due by December 1st. We encourage you to submit your application early. During application review, you will hear from us regarding an interview. Admissions decisions are made within three weeks from your interview.
Our admissions committee evaluates all of your submitted materials, even in the case you are missing a particular undergraduate requirement. We assess each applicant’s potential to successfully complete required graduate coursework and to excel in conducting independent research. If English is your second language, you must take The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and submit those results.
Application Fee Waiver Request Process
- The PhD application fee may be waived for active duty military and veterans, current full-time volunteers with recognized, non-profit service organizations (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, Teach for America, etc.) and students participating in underrepresented student educational programs at the time of applying (e.g. McNair Scholars, HEOP, etc.). Please send a fee waiver request to email@example.com once you have started (and not yet submitted) your PhD application. Please include official documentation confirming current status with dates (e.g. a letter from your McNair advisor, confirmation of military status, etc.) for review.
- The PhD application fee may be waived for applicants for whom the application fee would constitute a financial hardship. Requests are granted, in most cases, if accompanied by official documentation demonstrating financial need (e.g. a currently enrolled student should seek a letter from his/her financial aid officer). If it is not possible to provide official documentation, the applicant should submit a detailed description of his/her current financial situation. Such requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please send a fee waiver request to firstname.lastname@example.org once you have started (and not yet submitted) your PhD application.
- The PhD application fee may be waived for current ISMMS students and Mount Sinai employees. Please send a fee waiver request to email@example.com once you have started (and not yet submitted) your PhD application.