The Office of Career Services & Strategy strives to provide effective personalized strategy for career path determination, focus and pursuit through individual appointments, walk-in office hours, workshops on the most relevant career topics, as well as resume feedback and interview preparation.
Message from the Director
Career pursuit can be straightforward for those who have a clear direction in mind, or, challenging for others who may consider taking a turn and changing either the industry or the role of their next job. For those changing industry or role, there are three main stages to a successful transition:
- In-depth self-reflection and analysis
- Gathering of information regarding various career possibilities
- Matching personal preferences of job environment (achieved through the first stage of career exploration) with job opportunities available (found during the second stage)
Our Office will assist graduate students, postdocs and current year alumni with most aspects of (2) and (3) and provide guidance with (1). In concrete terms, we offer both services (CV/resume consultations and editing, delivery of presentations on career topics, access to sample cover letters, sample CV/resumes, etc.) and strategy building (interview preparation, negotiation, navigation among several options, further education opportunities, fellowships, etc.).
Ellie Schmelzer, PhD
Director of Career Services
If you would like career strategy advice, resume feedback (sample Cover Letter/CV/Resume can be found here) or need help with interview preparation, please make an individual appointment with Ellie Schmelzer, PhD.
To schedule an appointment, please send an email to Dr. Ellie Schmelzer along with 2-3 preferred times/days for a meeting (from the list of appointment office hours below). You will receive a brief 4-question list, after the return of which, you will obtain an appointment confirmation.
Appointment types and days:
- Scheduled Appointments (30 or 45 min)
Tuesdays, 2:30-4:15 pm; Wednesdays, 10-11 am; and Thursdays, 2:30-4:15 pm
- Walk-In Office Hours (15 min) - Please call Carol Johnson on the day that you consider coming in, to ensure that walk-in hours are not cancelled that day.
Wednesdays, 3-4 pm and Thursdays, 10-11am
All appointments are held in Anbg 5-206J.
After the initial appointment, subsequent appointments can be made in two-week intervals.
Walk-In Office Hours
Are available and are designed for addressing quick and concrete questions and for final draft resume editing. They are 15 minutes in duration and no appointment is necessary.
The Office of Career Services & Strategy will gladly extend services to current matriculated graduate students, postdocs, and recent alumni who have graduated in the past 12 months.
On-going presentations are available for career guidance:
- CV to Resume Conversion: A step-by-step recipe for how to convert your CV into an industry marketable resume
- Interviewing: Tips and Insights: A practical guide for preparing for the most common types of interviews
- ‘NEW JOB’ Negotiations (Presentation/Discussion – bring questions): An outlined strategy for optimizing your chances of getting the job offer that you want and answers to your individual negotiation questions
- Networking: How NOT to be Afraid and Make the MOST of it: A presentation delivering networking tips and a practice networking session
- Acing It: Successfully Navigating the ACADEMIC Interview Process: A comprehensive guide to applying for tenure-track positions in academia
The following is offered in addition to typical career services, in order to provide a more comprehensive preparation for job search:
- Regular and VIDEO recorded MOCK interviews - we now offer mock interviews for improving interviewing performance and video recorded sessions for increased self-awareness
- Mount Sinai Business Cards
Internal and external recommended career resources include: