Observerships are facilitated through an extremely selective process. Only applicants that are sponsored by a current faculty member are permitted to observe the respective surgeon in the operating room. Interested applicants should first contact their faculty sponsor and subsequently complete the attached application ensuring precise adherence to the instructions.
- Required to have a Mount Sinai Department of Surgery faculty sponsor.
- Limited to14 days in the Department of Surgery at the Mount Sinai Health System.
- Not eligible for visa sponsorship.
- Not permitted to have any patient contact.
- Not allowed to receive any compensation while they are here.
- Required to clear HIPAA, Employee Health Service health screening and toxicology.
- Residents, Visiting Physicians, others - $750 per rotation
- Rotation fees are due 14 days prior to start date.
- ISMMS Observer Application.
- The following supplemental documents must be submitted along with application:
- A copy of a government-issued biographic photo identification (Passport or US Drivers license) and Visa
- Your current curriculum vitae or two-page summary of educational and professional accomplishments (must be translated into English)
- Letter of support from your current institution (must be in English)
- Letter of recommendation
- Copy of your current medical license (must be translated into English)
- Documentation of tests administered within three (3) months proving that you do not have tuberculosis (e.g., a negative PPD) and if a positive PPD, chest x-ray must be done within six (6) months of coming to Mount Sinai
- Proof of measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chickenpox) immunity within five years
- Documentation stating that you have had a physical exam indicating good general health in the past year
- Copy of your medical diploma (must be translated into English)
- Applications will be reviewed on a first come, first serve bases in consultation with the sponsoring faculty member.
- Applicants will be provided with a letter outlining the parameters of the observership and the length of time they are permitted to be on campus.
- Foreign observers must report to the International Personnel Office upon their arrival and provide them with the following documents:
- Copy of biographic passport page of applicant
- Copy of visa from passport
- Copy of front and back of Form I-94 (arrival/departure card)
- Proof /verification of professional qualifications
- Proof that Employee Health Service and HIPAA have been cleared
- Once the Observer is cleared by Employee Health Service and HIPAA, Security will issue a temporary ID badge