The Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai is committed to supporting all investigators and laboratory staff. Access tools to help you understand both the research administration processes, and the training you will need to comply with state and federal requirements. Visit Mount Sinai's Research Training Website and learn more about institutional and extramural training sessions for you and your team.
InfoEd (Proposal Development) Class
Persons preparing the application in InfoEd are required to take this class.
Grants and Contracts Office
- GCO 101: Sponsored Project and Research Application Process
- GCO 102: Finding Funding Opportunities Using SPIN
- GCO 201: Basics of Sponsored Project Budgeting
- GCO 202: NIH Modular Grant Budgets
- GCO 203: Intermediate Budgeting Class - Budgeting Direct Costs on Federal Awards
- GCO 204: Calculating Facilities and Administrative (F&A) Costs on Federal Awards
- GCO 205: Applying the Updated Federal Indirect Cost Rates (Video - approx. 30 minutes)
- GCO 301: Preparing Grants with Subawards
- GCO 401: Basics of Preparing an NIH Other Support (OS) Page
- GCO 402: Collecting Information for the NIH Other Support (OS) Page
- GCO 403: Using Mount Sinai's Other Support Template
- GCO 404: Upcoming Changes to the NIH Biosketch and Other Support Page (Slide Set)
For applications due on or after May 25, 2021
Video (last updated 5/5/2021 I Slide Set ( last updated: 8/24/2021)
Updates: GCO's Response to NIH Implementation Plan (last updated 8/24/2021)
- Grants and Finance Compliance (Video – approx.-30 minutes)
Office of Faculty Development
The Office of Faculty Development at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai believes that all faculty can reach their full potential and experience professional fulfillment, well-being, and success with high-quality enriched mentorship, leadership development training, and career advancement support. We provide many workshops, skills training, discussion groups, networking, and informational resources to help faculty advance their career. Email us at OFD@mssm.edu to stay up-to-date on our career development workshops!
- Strategies & Tactics for NIH K & R Type Awards: Grant Workshops
For access, email Office of Faculty Development at OFD@mssm.edu
- Tips for RO1 Success: Informed Perspectives from NIH Study Section Reviewers - Translational Sciences
- Tips for RO1 Success: Informed Perspectives from NIH Study Section Reviewers - Basic Science
Office of Research Services
The Office of Research Services (ORS) offers research orientations to both faculty (new and established principle investigators) and non-faculty (clinical research coordinators, managers, post-docs, etc).
National Institutes of Health
The NIH has a wide array of videos, webinars, podcasts, and other instructional material for you to learn about the grant submission process and policies and how to successfully compete for funding.
- Grants Application Basics
Before getting started, learn why it is important to understand the structure of NIH and how the NIH approaches grant funding, what types of organizations and people are eligible to apply, what the NIH looks for in a research project, and the types of grant programs offered.
- ASSIST for researchers submitting competitive multi-project applications, view the ASSIST training material.
- Application Preparation Timelines (17 minutes)
- Biosketch (Webinar - approximately 30 minutes) Create a Biosketch with SciENcv
- Clinical Trials - Understanding the Definition of Clinical Trial and What that Means to You (Podcast - approx 12 minutes)
- Data Management and Sharing (DMS) Policy Basics (Webinar 1 - approx 1.5 hours)
- Data Management and Sharing Policy Deeper Dive (Webinar 2 - approx 1.25 hours)
- Electronic Research Administration (eRA) This NIH site has helpful information for the PI on eRA Commons' features and functions and understanding different screen statuses as well as for NIH reviewers navigating the Internet Assisted Review (IAR) module.
- Electronic Research Administration (eRA) (Training Materials and Hand Outs from Workshops)
- Grants and Funding (Podcasts)
Learn about a variety of topics on the NIH and the grants submission process, preparing a successful application, advice for new and early-career scientists, and managing your award.
- Grants and Funding (Recent Webinars)
- Grants and Funding (Videos and Webinars) See featured videos and peruse this large selection of NIH videos and webinars. Link to other NIH Channels like Genome TV and NCBI.
- Human Subjects and Clinical Trials Overview (Video - approx 15 minutes)
- Indirect Costs 101 (Videos - approx. 20 minutes)
- Peer Review Process - Overall (Videos- approx. 45 minutes total viewing time) NIH's Center for Scientific Review (CSR) has produced a series of videos to give you an inside look at how scientists from across the country review NIH grant applications for scientific and technical merit.
- Peer Review Process - Grant Mechanism (Webinars)
- Rigor and Transparency (Video - approx. 30 minutes total viewing time)
- xTRACT ( 3 Videos: approx. 15 minutes total viewing time)
Research Administration Professional Organizations
- The National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA)
- Research Administrators Certification Council (RACC)
- Society of Research Administrators International (SRA)