The Mount Sinai Institute for Next Generation Healthcare is a new model of research, innovation and market delivery founded in 2016 to expedite and help shape the impending revolution in healthcare. Our vision of next generation healthcare harnesses cutting edge science, technology and analytics to enhance the health and vitality of people everywhere.
Several factors are converging to force dramatic change in the healthcare landscape:
- Chronic conditions are taking a toll on populations globally and exert massive financial strains on states and institutions
- Patients are being empowered by information and technology
- The market for healthcare delivery is shifting from a hospital-centric model to a patient-centric model
- People have increasing cultural and financial incentives to focus on staying healthy and avoid excess treatments and procedures
- Genomics and other profiling technologies are revealing the tremendous molecular complexity of diseases such as Alzheimer’s, diabetes, cancers and heart diseases
Meanwhile, transformational technologies including artificial intelligence, robotics, genomic sequencing, sensors and wearable devices, Internet of Things, and cloud computing offer unprecedented opportunities to solve global health challenges.
Experts all agree that a profound shift in healthcare is inevitable. But how will we navigate the newly available possibilities, who will lead us, and how long must we wait?
Next-generation healthcare will not be reached through incremental evolution of the current system. For this reason, the mission of Mount Sinai’s Institute for Next Generation Healthcare is to transform the world’s experience of healthcare through an integrated model of research, delivery and innovation that is patient-centric and informed by large-scale data science.