Research shows that leadership skills can have a big impact on well-being, professional fulfillment, and job performance. Here are some of the key publications on the topic:
Evidence for the Impact of Gratitude and Appreciation from Leaders
- Emmons RA, McCullough ME. Counting blessings versus burdens: an experimental investigation of gratitude and subjective well-being in daily life. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 003, Vol. 84, No. 2, 377–389
- Algoe et al. It's the little things: Everyday gratitude as a booster shot for romantic relationships. Journal of Personal Relationships June 2010 17(2) DOI:10.1111/j.1475-6811.2010.01273.x
- Kumar A., Epley N. Undervaluing gratitude: Expressers misunderstand the consequences of showing appreciation. Psychological Science 29 (9): 1423–1435. doi:10.1177/0956797618772506
- Seligman MEP, Steen TA, Park N, Peterson C. Positive psychology progress: Empirical validation of interventions. American Psychologist, 60(5), 410–421.
- Grant AM, Gino F. A little thanks goes a long way: Explaining why gratitude expressions motivate prosocial behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 98(6), 946–955. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0017935
Evidence and Strategies for Leadership Coaching Skills
- Beaudry JE. Everything you need to know about the GROW coaching model. com, May 2021
- Ibarra HI, Scoular A. The leader as coach. Harvard Business Review. Nov/Dec 2019
- Lasley M, Kellogg V, Michaels R, Brown S. Coaching for transformation. Discover Press, 2015
- Dyrbye LN, Shanafelt TD, Gill PR, Satele DV, West CP. Effect of a professional coaching intervention on the well-being and distress of physicians: A pilot randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2019 Oct 1;179(10):1406-1414. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2019.2425. PMID: 31380892; PMCID: PMC6686971.
- Grote D. Every manager needs to practice two types of coaching. Harvard Business Review, September 2016
- Schein EH et al. Humble inquiry: The gentle art of asking instead of telling. Gildan Media LLC, 2013
- Shanafelt TD, Gorringe G, Menaker R, Storz KA, Reeves D, Buskirk SJ, Sloan JA, Swensen SJ. Impact of organizational leadership on physician burnout and satisfaction. Mayo Clin Proc. 2015 Apr;90(4):432-40. doi: 10.1016/j.mayocp.2015.01.012. Epub 2015 Mar 18. PMID: 25796117.
- Whitmore, J. Coaching for performance; Fourth Edition: GROWing human potential and purpose-the principles and practice of coaching and leadership. Gildan Media LLC 2013